We are currently in a level 1 drought. If we don’t get significant rainfall in the next 24 hours, it will be a level 2 drought. This is pretty significant for our area, since there are many farms which rely on the rain to water their crops. Some lucky ones have permits to take irrigation water from nearby lakes, but not all. And, not us. Not to say that our little garden is on the same scale, but, you know…
What does happen though, is that our teeny tiny 10 foot, dug well can’t keep up with our water needs, and that’s when Bruce gets creative.
Some things Bruce has suggested to conserve water:
- No showers.
Ok, he’ll allow showers, but only 2 minute ones. And you have to turn off the water while you lather. And it is preferable to have a second person in the shower with you, so one can rinse while the other lathers… so as not to waste water!
- All water run from the tap, if not being used, should be collected in receptacles from which we can water plants and dogs.
- Since the rain barrels are now depleted, he and my brother-in-law have headed to the river to collect stream water to keep our garden alive. Apparently it’s legal to take water from a lake if you keep it under 50 000 L. I’ll take his word for it.
- No laundry- all clothes are to be worn until soiled.
- Dishwasher once a day max… our Hydro bill is going to be awesome!
- The old adage “When it’s yellow, let it mellow; when it’s brown, flush it down” is in full effect. If you don’t know what that means, Google it.
And finally, in an effort to conserve as much water as possible, he’s decreed that he and Eric will do their part by switching to drinking beer.
Bronwyn, in the spirit of the moment, came up with her own solution. After finishing her ice-cream sandwich, she held out her hands to the dogs to lick clean. She then dried them on a towel and proudly announced that her hands were clean, and she didn’t even use any water!